Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Empire City" Church's first service in NYC

40 visitors? = there's a sucker born every minute.

Back in 1994, I attended my first church service of the NYC Church of Christ. I was 19 years and ready to make a change not only in my life, but to change the world as well. That service was actually a performance of Upside Down. Remember that play? People from all over the Northeast and beyond had come to see that show.

I remember checking out my second church service at a hotel near my parent's place just a few states away. There were at least 3 services going on in this hotel, and the one I ended up at had some people who had been on wheelchairs lying in the back, wailing. I learned that I had ended up at some Pentecostal service - not the ICC. Not that I could honestly tell that much of a difference, except for the wailing.

When I finally figured out how to recognize an ICC service, I found they were more like the ones pictured in the link at the Empire ICC city site.

Pretty bland - a conference room, mediocre singers, a young man who thinks more highly of himself than he'd ever admit and a soft pseudo-humble expression on his face when people approach him.

If you look at the front row, you'll see the old master, Kip, with his overgrown mullet. He still thinks he's going to change the world with that humble little service in some random NYC hotel.

All I know is that people keep giving him money.

When will you all ever learn? Took me a while til I finally did. It doesn't matter how cognitively intelligent you are - it's about what grabs your emotions. And he knows how to do it.

When you want to change the world, better watch out for those who want to change - and shortchange - you.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dekri said...

I just found your blog and have been enjoying your entries. Fall away from back in 95. Thanks for the laughs, even the ones that taste bittersweet in my mouth.

Ya I remember Upside/down vividly. I was part of NJ New Brunswick area icoc at the time. I actually loved that play, it kept me a member another year longer (for which I have nothing but regret. Three wasted years. Bah.)

As for Kip, God spare us that mullet wearing horses ass. I can't believe he's at it again. DAmn I'm still naive.

5:43 PM  
Blogger icc said...

Thanks Dekri. Comments like yours motivate me to keep this up, although by this point, I've been out longer than I was in. Praise the lobster god!!!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Jeannetto said...

I met a girl in portland this summer that had just sold her car and was heading to NYC to be part of the icoc "mission." She was probably the same age as me, but I wanted to slap her and show her everything I've every seen. Ah, well, she was cute and blond, she'll get by.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Scott said...

Hey,

How did they get people to their soul talks/ bible talks in the first place?

4:30 PM  
Anonymous razieh said...

hi my dear

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Kristjan said...

If you want to know, how they got people to the bible talks, then read Luke 24:46-48 "Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things."" The disciples preached the word to all the people. Secondly, please stop backbiting, God doesn't like that -Luke 6:37. You actually can go to hell for that.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Not if you ask forgiveness and are saved by faith in Jesus Christ! You cannot lose your salvation for sinning, we will sin until the day we die.... the Bible says the only unforgivable sin is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Beware false teachings that twist & manipulate scripture!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Joelle said...

Not if you are forgiven through faith in Jesus Christ! Each of us will continue to sin until the day we die, we must confess to God, not man...the Bible says the only unforgivable sin is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.... Stop twisting scripture and teaching that we must confess to man not God! Beware false teachers!

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home